Many cars now come with a so-called 'semi-automatic' gearbox, where you have the best of both worlds. This means you don’t have to bother pressing a clutch pedal, which can be a real help in city driving, but you can still change gears manually using the lever or paddles on the steering wheel. The best of these systems employ a twin-clutch design that makes for quick, seamless gearchanges.
Automatic gearboxes are not just for big cars, either. Many city cars and superminis are offered with an auto to make them ideal town transport. As you can see from our picks below, there’s a car with an automatic gearbox out there to suit everyone.
- Peugeot 108 – the good-value automatic
- Mercedes S-Class – the smooth automatic
- Toyota Prius – the economical automatic
- Porsche 718 Cayman – the sporty automatic
- BMW 5 Series – the intelligent automatic