But, there’s no need to wait for the future, as you can buy electric cars right now. They’re still relatively niche, aimed largely at those that live in a city or suburbs and don’t need to do long car journeys. They can also be expensive and will likely have a smaller range than petrol or diesel cars. However, they do have the advantage of emitting no pollutants, and they also cost far less to charge than you’d pay to fill up a fuel tank. There's also the bonus of no tailpipe emissions, and ranges are constantly being improved.
With more and more electric cars available to the public, we’ve rounded up our favourites.
- Renault Zoe – the (relatively) cheap electric car
- Tesla Model S – the long-range electric car
- BMW i3 – the aspirational electric car
- Volkswagen e-Golf – the understated electric car
- Hyundai Kona Electric – the SUV electric car