A good tow car is a stable tow car. As a rule, that means the car should be heavier than what it's towing. Britain's two biggest caravanning clubs recommend pulling caravans weighing no more than 85% of the kerbweight of the car, especially if you are new to towing.
Hauling a caravan or trailer puts a lot of strain on a car's engine and transmission, so the engine will need plenty of pulling power. Four-wheel drive helps, too, especially if you plan to tow in all weathers.
Here are our five favourite tow cars to suit different needs and budgets.
- Land Rover Range Rover Sport – the luxury one
- Kia Sorento – the reasonably priced one
- Skoda Superb – the sensible one
- Volkswagen Touran – the MPV one
- Dacia Duster – the affordable one