Truck Reviews & More

Can you Drive a 7.5-tonne Truck on a Car Licence?

Requirements for Driving a 7.5-tonne Vehicle
The type of driving licence required for a 7.5-tonne vehicle depend on the age of the driver and when they got their category B (car) driving licence. For people who passed their tests before 1997, there is no requirement to add a further entitlement to their licence. They are automatically allowed to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes without having to take any more tests. C1 entitlement, which is required for these vehicles, will already be included on their licence. They might also have C1 + E entitlement, which means they can also have a drawbar trailer weighing up to 750kg, as well as driving the 7.5-tonne vehicle.

If a driver passed their test after January 1st 1997, they will have to pass a test to gain C1 entitlement on their licence. This is necessary for driving vehicles weighing more than 3.5 tonnes.
Driver CPC Training
A Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) is required for all drivers who wish to drive vehicles in the C1 category as their job. Even those who passed their test prior to 1997 need to complete the necessary training every five years if they want to drive 7.5-tonne vehicles professionally.

The exception is some people and circumstances that might be covered by an exemption. These can include:

- vehicles with a maximum authorised speed of no more than 28mph
- armed forces or emergency services vehicles
- vehicles being driven for maintenance or repair
- vehicles driven as part of a test
- new vehicles that aren't in service yet
- vehicles being driven for non-commercial purposes
- drivers carrying equipment for work that does not normally involved driving

Drivers who are driving professionally are required to complete the Driver CPC, which involves 35 hours of training every five years. Driving for personal use does not require Driver CPC, but it does still require C1 entitlement on your licence. The website has full information on C1 licences, Driver CPC and the exemptions from Driver CPC.

There are four parts of the CPC qualification. Commercial drivers need to pass all three tests, while anyone else only needs to do part one, the theory test, and part three, the driving ability portion of the test. Part two is a case studies test and part four is a practical demonstration of skills and knowledge needed for commercial drivers.

Check your licence to see if you need to apply for C1 entitlement to drive a 7.5-tonne truck, as well as the official rules for who needs to complete the Driver CPC.

Related topics:

Popular and Recommended