Auto Trader bikes

Skip to contentSkip to footer

Getting a 50cc moped (AM) licence

The AM licence is the most basic you can get, and as well as allowing you to ride scooters and mopeds, it also lets you ride small three-wheelers and light quads

As long as you are over 16, the AM licence allows you to ride a scooter or motorcycle with an engine of up to 50cc and a maximum speed of no more than 45 km/h (about 28mph).
You’re also allowed to carry a passenger and ride without displaying L plates. However, as long as you have taken your CBT, you can still ride with L plates for a maximum of two years, even if you do not have a full moped licence. As well as scooters and mopeds, an AM licence also allows you to ride small three-wheelers (up to 50cc and 4KW power) or light quads weighing under 350kg and with a top speed of 28mph, providing you have passed your CBT and practical test. You can gain a full AM licence by completing the practical tests; and, if you do so, you don't need to display L plates and you can carry a passenger. However, most people choose to progress to larger machines (or re-take their CBT) before the two-year period expires.
Related Links
Top 5 bikes for new riders in the AM category
Search for suitable motorcycles and scooters on Auto Trader Bikes. Compulsory Basic Training A1 Motorcycle Licence A2 Motorcycle Licence A Motorcycle Licence

Related Topics