Security How to stay safe on Auto Trader: Tips on selling a used car safely Close


What paperwork do I need when buying a used car?

There's only a little paperwork to worry about when buying a used car, but it is vital

Words by: First published: 2nd July 2015
The good news is that you don’t need to supply much paperwork, but it’s all vital. Above all, make sure you have your driver’s licence, to prove both that you can drive the car and that you’re who you say you are.

You’ll also need to supply details of a valid insurance policy that will allow you to drive the car. Remember, too, that, because road tax is not transferable from one owner to the next, before you can drive away, you’ll need to tax the car – which you can do online or using the DVLA’s automated phone service that runs 24 hours a day.

You’ll also need reference numbers from the car’s registration document – the V5C, as it’s officially known – to do this, so make sure the owner hands this over, along with a receipt for the car and any paperwork that goes with the car. Not only will the V5C prove that you’re the registered keeper of the vehicle, these documents will come in handy if there is any problem or dispute further down the line.