When you’re buying a new car, it’s tempting to be swayed by all the fun stuff. But there are some other things that are important to consider before handing over a deposit or driving something off the forecourt.
First published: 7th July 2015
What to look out for when buying a new car
Buying a new or second-hand car? Here are some things that the experts at comparethemarket.com told us you should consider before handing over your cash
Cost of insurance
Don’t just look at the price of the car, look at how much it’s going to cost you to insure. This is especially important if you’re a relatively new or younger driver because insurance can easily cost as much as – or more than – the car itself.
Take a look at the car’s fuel economy and factor that into your affordability sums. The most economical cars can get as many as 70 miles to the gallon, but they can also be among the most expensive to buy.
The amount of vehicle tax you’ll pay will depend on the vehicle’s CO2 emissions, with every car model being placed into one of 13 tax bands. The annual tax varies from nothing to £500 – the higher the emissions, the higher the tax – so you should look on the DVLA website to see exactly how much you’ll pay each year.
Is it legal?
When buying a second-hand car, particularly one from a private seller rather than an established dealer, it’s a good idea to check the vehicle is everything you’re being told it is. So, make sure the seller is the registered keeper on the V5C and find out why not if they aren’t. Also, check the details on the certificate match those on the actual car – you can also check the DVLA’s online vehicle enquiry service to check the details match the official records.
Do experts and other drivers rate the car?
Other articles related to Buying a new car
- How to choose a good car retailer
- Should I buy a pre-registered car?
- Should I buy a hydrogen car?
- Government extends plug-in car grant
- Top 5 family car-buying tips
- How do I compare finance rates?
- New regulations to control sale of add-on GAP Insurance
- What to look out for when buying a new car
- Delivery dates
- Should I pay for Paint Protection?
- Which documents do I need when I take delivery of my new car?
- What is GAP Insurance?
- What’s the difference between the ‘On the road’ price and the ‘list price’?
- When is the best time to look for deals?
- What’s the best way to negotiate?
- How do I know I’m paying the right price for my new car?
- How should I time the sale of my existing car with the delivery of my new one?
- Where should I buy my new car?
- What happens if there are delays in delivering your new car?
- What do I need to do before a test drive?
- What documents you need, and what to check, when your new car is handed over
- What use are Car configurators?
- How do I test drive my next new car?
- How do I make sure I’m getting the proper value for my part-exchange?
- Can I take an extended test drive?
- Should I buy a new or used car?