Find owner reviews
TOYOTA RAV4 4x4 2000‑2006
75 owner reviews for TOYOTA RAV4 4x4 2000‑2006
TOYOTA RAV4 2.0 XT-R 5dr (Review date: 11th October '13)
I have only owned this vehicle for three weeks so have limited experience and knowledge of the Rav4. What I can tell you is this.
Be aware that newer models have more than one CAT. I have just been quoted £1250 for the middle exhaust section which has a secondary CAT within this section and you can only get a genuine Toyota part as no one else does them. This probably explains why I have discovered that mine has already been repaired in the past which has now started to fail yet again. I will be getting my local garage to do the repair as I am not willing to be ripped off to the tune of £1250 for an exhaust.
On the PRO side thus far I am delighted with the cars performance and handling as I owned a 3.0 litre V6 Mazda Tribute a few years ago and the RAV matches it on performance and exceeds on handling, the MPG is also much better. The alloys are very poor quality but a couple of hundred quid for a quality refurb I can live with. Hope this gives someone some info if thinking of purchasing this vehicle. Will be posting another review when I have had the car for 6 months and have more info and experience of Toyota RAV4.
Rav 4 3 Door
TOYOTA RAV4 2.0 XT3 3dr (Review date: 31st May '13)
I have been the proud owner of a RAV 4 for 6 years and I have loved every minute. Such a comfortable car, a great run around - and perfect for longer trips as the seats are so large and comfortable feeling. The car is sturdy and takes corners very well - including in icy conditions. I have also driven on beaches, and whilst other cars struggle to grip - the Rav4 just zips along, no problem at all. Plenty of handy cup holders and wee boxes to store change / CDs / sweets etc etc. You feel very safe in this car as the frame is sturdy - perfect for drivers of all ages and experience.
My Rav4 VX Automatic
TOYOTA RAV4 2.0 VX 5dr Auto (Review date: 24th February '13)
I had two Rav4s in 2.0 VX automatic guise with side and rear steps. The first was a 3 month old black model with every extra bar cruise control and gave no bother. I sold it and then bought a high mileage second hand Metallic Silver model. Generally a very good, reliable 4x4 that handles like a car, is good in snow and is pleasing to the eye. Now an excellent second hand buy.
(1) Very, very good looking car for that era and side and rear steps added to the appeal
(2) Radio/Cassette/ Multi changer + single CD player was nice extra
(3) Good interior space and ambience
(4) Good acceleration and was a pleasure on the motorway and in town
(5) Car was off the road for nearly 3 years (never switched on or moved) due to major engine failure mentioned below and while I fought garage and eventually gave up due to potential legal costs. Amazingly my cousin rebuilt the engine after 3 years and everything including automatic gearbox, electric sunroof, windows & mirrors, display, computer, alarm etc worked perfectly bar the Oxygen/ Lamda Sensors. Thats proof of how good Japanese and Toyota engineering is
(6) Car handled like a GTi car - I was amazed at the handling
(7) Never changed a bulb and everything worked as it should without failure
(8) Removable seats were brilliant
(1) Interior plastic trim felt and looked cheap in places and too much grey made me feel grey at times
(2) Engine disintegrated after oil pressure light came on and mechanic continued test drive. I also discovered that former owner had made up the Full Service History and used wrong engine oil so Toyota engineering was not to blame.
(3) Very poor, tinny sound from the Radio/Cassette/ CD player and even more obvious after owning a Volvo V70 with its glorious sounding system
(4) Any sudden acceleration at higher speeds made the engine sound awful, loud and tinny
(5) Rear roof spoiler could come loose as poorly attached via double sided tape
(6) Alloy wheels rusted very quickly
(7) All Oxygen (Lamda) sensors failed consecutively - this was due to car not being used for 3 years. Beware that engine only likes genuine Toyota Lamda sensors and others will fail
(8) Boot could be bigger
Best Car Ever!
TOYOTA RAV4 2.0 GX 5dr (Review date: 23rd October '12)
This car is very, very reliable hence the reason I have kept it for such a long time. I have never had any significant problems with it. It is excellent in the snow and has never failed me. It is too big now that the family have all grown up and running it for shopping only is no longer cost effective. This wonderful family car requires a new owner who will use it more regularly and who will get many, many more years of joy out of it. I will sincerely miss my Toyota Rav4!
Great everyday 4x4
TOYOTA RAV4 2.0 D-4D GX 5dr (Review date: 26th February '12)
Purchased from new this has been a great buy! The height at the rear makes it an easy hop for the dogs to get in and there is plenty of space for two labradors, even without moving the rear seats. If greater loadspace is needed, it is very easy to either tip up the rear seats, or remove them completely. Despite being 4x4 and diesel, the economy is good with an average 45 mpg. The driving is also good with acceleration more like a petrol, rather than a diesel, model. Can be a little noisy and the turning circle is pretty wide, but overall it's fine.
Downsides: After about 5 years the gear box flywheel went and had to be replaced and the air conditioning has been a problem for years, in that it won't hold a gas charge for any length of time. However, this could just be my particular vehicle and it would not stop me from buying another Rav4.
Review for 3dr Toyota RAV4
TOYOTA RAV4 2.0 D-4D XT-R 3dr (Review date: 24th February '12)
I bought this car as I wanted a 4 wheel drive in case of bad weather. The other crucial factor was to be as compact as possible. There is a shortage of small diesel 4 wheel drive vehicles on the market and Toyota have stopped manufacturing the 3 dr version. I bought this vehicle second hand and have been very pleased with it. The only negative is the fuel consumption probably due to the large engine size. I would certainly buy another one and would be very pleased if Toyota would produce the 3 dr version in the future.
My RAV4 05
TOYOTA RAV4 2.0 XT-R 5dr Auto (Review date: 22nd January '12)
Great all rounder
TOYOTA RAV4 2.0 D-4D NV 3dr (Review date: 19th January '12)
We bought the Rav as we live on a Greek island most of the year & we drive back & forth between Greece & UK in the winter.
I didnt expect to get a diesel in our budget but being an ex car dealer from UK I have some good contacts & a friend managed to get me the diesel that we have.
The great thing with the Rav is that you can take out the rear seats & use it like a van almost, we pack the car full of stuff that we cant get in Greece when we drive back from UK. We have also just completed building a house so carried lots of DIY stuff too.
The Rav averages 39-42mpg all the way down to Greece from UK & to be honest I dont think I could find a more suitable car for our needs, coupled with fantastic Toyota reliability its a great car.
Insurance is quite expensive but that's not Toyota's fault
Overall we love it & would recommend one to anyone, sadly the 3dr was discontinued in 2005, & I dont think I would actually buy a 5dr as it would be too big on the Greek island which we live
safe reliable a pleasure to own & drive
TOYOTA RAV4 2.0 D-4D GX 5dr (Review date: 2nd November '11)
A COMFORTABLE RELIABLE FRUGAL ESTATE CAR WITH THE ADVANTAGE OF FOUR WHEEL DRIVE AND A DIESEL ENGINE I RECCOMEND THAT YOU USE A FRANCHISED DEALER FOR MAJOR REPAIRS AND SERVICING IN EIGHT YEARS OF USE MY REPAIRS HAVE BEEN ONE BULB BLOWN ONE CLUTCH REPLACED NEW BATTERY AND NEW TYRES MY ONLY PROBLEM WHICH WAS HARD TO DIAGNOSE AND CAUSED UNNESESARY EXPENSE WAS THAT THE FUEL GUAGE FAILED
TOYOTA RAV4 2.0 NRG 3dr (Review date: 10th October '11)
I HAVE RECENTLY SOLD A RAV4 NRG AT 9 YEARS PLUS OLD, WHILST OWNING IT I LOVED IT GENERALLY , NICE DRIVING POSITION AND SMALL SO EASY TO PARK, MINUS POINTS WERE POOR PERFORMANCE FOR 2 LITRE ,POOR PETROL CONSUMPTION , LOW 30,S ON RUN 27 OR SO AROUND TOWN, HIGH ROAD TAX AND INSURANCE. ONLY LET DOWN ONCE WITH FAULTY LAMBDA SENSOR ,ONE OF 4 ON CATALYST ,VERY EXPENSIVE TO REPLACE. JUST REPLACED WITH NISSAN JUKE DIG T NOW REALISE TOYOTA RAV LIGHT YEARS BEHIND MODERN VEHICLES