Security How to stay safe on Auto Trader: Selling your vehicle Close


All you need to know about motorcycle licence types

Fear not! If you're confused about all the various types of motorcycle licences, let Auto Trader's experts explain how the system works and help you to understand which one is right for you.

First published: 15th September 2016
Hitting the road on two wheels is an exciting prospect, but when you start out, you may well find the choice of licences a bit bewildering.

The good news though, is that there is method behind the apparent madness. Furthermore, no matter where you want to end up, you have to start in the same place as every motorcyclist with Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), followed by a theory test, which includes a hazard perception segment.

It's important to note that, even if you already have a car licence and took a theory test on the way to getting it, you still need to pass this version of the test before you can take any practical motorcycle test. The only exception to this rule is if you have passed a two-part moped test or a lower-category motorcycle test since July 1 1996, in which case there is no need to do the theory test.

It's only once you're beyond this point, with CBT safely done and your theory test pass certificate in hand, that you need to start making decisions. As we’ll explain, your choice of licence will depend in part on what sort of bike you want to ride, how old you are, and how long you’ve been riding.

Click on each link to see the licence type explained on Auto Trader Bikes:
Related topics: