Car Warranty Centre
Auto Trader has teamed-up with Warranty Direct
Bringing you industry leading car warranties that can protect your peace of mind and your pocket! Available on most cars less than 10 years old and with fewer than 100,000 recorded miles since new.
Or call 0800 018 2820
Winners of the Honest
John (HAT) Award
- A consistently reliable service
- Excellent value for money
- Efficient customer operations
- 97% positive feedback
Are you buying a car?
If you're buying a car privately then you should consider the peace of mind that a car warranty can offer. If you're buying from a dealer our warranty can enhance or extend your cover.
What is a warranty?
A car warranty is a form of insurance policy. If an item breaks down due to the mechanical or electrical failure of a covered part, the warranty can cover the costs of replacement parts and labour and protect you from unexpected repair bills.
Why Buy a Warranty?
44%* of cars are known to suffer a breakdown in their fourth year, just after most manufacturer warranties expire! A good warranty will help you avoid big repair bills, allow you to budget and potentially be good for your peace of mind - and your pocket!
Why choose Warranty Direct?
Established in 1997, Warranty Direct is recognised as the foremost provider of warranties direct to the consumer. They have always been innovators in the extended warranty market with all policies covering Wear & Tear failure, faults found at Service or Mot and adequate provision for diagnostic time. Delighting customers remains the company's principle objective and in 2009 and 2010 Warranty Direct was awarded the Honest John Hat Standard for excellence in value and customer service. Auto Trader is pleased to be their partner.
Frequently asked questions
- What's covered? What's not covered?
- How much does it cost? How long am I covered?
- How do I claim?
- Any special clauses or extra features I should know about?
Did you know?
- 44% of cars require repairs in their fourth year.
- Average garage labour rates are nearing £80 per hour.
- Our highest pay-out last year was over £7,000.
- Warranty Direct are winners of the Honest John Award for customer service excellence.
- Awarded to only 5 companies in 2009 and 8 in 2010
- And nominated by the company's customers
- What parts are covered? Parts coverage will vary according to the age and mileage of your car and the cover level you opt for. This can vary from simple engine and gearbox cover to cover for all mechanical and electrical parts
- What parts are not covered? All policies will exclude cover for 'service' and 'frictional' parts and 'consumables'. These include tyres, exhausts, batteries, clutch plates, wipers, spark plugs etc.
- Are labour & diagnosis costs included? Policies can be priced to cover unlimited hourly labour rates or we offer a network labour rate that will cover the hourly rates charged at most independent garages. We always pay labour costs for valid claims in full and we also allow for diagnosis time.
- Am I protected against general wear & tear? Yes, all parts eventually wear out but, unlike many, we will cover you for failures that are as a result of wear & tear. We also cover you for failures to insured parts that are caused by an uninsured part failing. The most obvious example of this is when the alternator belt fails. It can often get caught in the timing belt and cause head gasket failure.
- Can I protect any car? The introduction of Performance & Prestige cover means that the vast majority of cars are now protectable, even Ferraris and Bentleys! Certain imported cars are excluded. To qualify vehicles must be under 10 years old with less than 100,000 recorded miles since new.
- How much does it cost? It is easy to get a quote but you can expect to pay around £25 per month for an average family car
- How long am I covered? You can buy a policy to cover you for one, two or three years or you can pay monthly for a continuous policy that can cover your car until it reaches 13 years old or exceeds 130,000 miles.
- How do you calculate a cost? Type, age and mileage of car, cover level and labour rate required and claims history for similar cars. Getting an online quote is easy.
- How I can I pay for my warranty? Online or over the phone by an appropriate card or by continuous direct debit.
- When does my cover start and how long does it last? It can start immediately and it will continue for as long as you keep up your payments or until your car reaches 13 years of age or 130,000 recorded miles.
- How do I renew my policy? We will confirm the automatic renewal of your policy each year subject to age and mileage limitations.
- How do I claim? All repairs are pre-authorised at our UK office. Claims can be notified over the phone or online.
- What do I do if I breakdown? At the roadside, contact your recovery company. We offer a pay on use facility if you prefer. If the car is at the garage, the garage must call us before any repairs are started.
- Is there an excess or claims limit? There is generally an excess of £50 per claim and a claim limit up to the value of the car at time of claim
- How long does a claim take? Valid claims are generally paid within 7 days
- Do I get an instant decision? two thirds of claims are authorised on the same day
- Can I choose my garage? Subject to the policy terms you select, you can go to any vat registered garage for repairs
- Do I have to pay the garage first? We have direct billing arrangements with a large number of garages. If you decide to go to a different garage you will have to settle your invoice and submit your claim to us for settlement.
- Do I get a replacement car? After the first 24 hours, if your car will take more than eight hours to repair we will contribute towards car hire costs.
- Can I claim abroad? Yes, you are covered in Europe for up to 100 days per year.
- Can I void my warranty? Your car servicing and mot must be up to date when making a claim and your cover will cease when the car reaches 13 years old or reaches 130,000 miles.
- Is breakdown recovery included? Yes, we will contribute towards recovery costs as part of a valid claim.
- Can I claim for emergency travel or overnight accommodation? Yes, as part of a valid claim.
- What about timing belts? Damage to covered parts due to timing belt failure is covered as long as the belt has been changed at the manufacturer's recommended service interval.
- Who underwrites this warranty? Pinnacle Insurance
- Are you a member of Motor Codes? Yes and we follow their code of practice for warranties to give consumers the best possible protection.
Terms and Conditions*Prize Draw: One entry per person. Each competition will run to the 27th of every month. The winners will be selected at random from all valid entries received before the closing date. No responsibility is taken for entries lost or not received. The prize is either a fitted Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth Car Kit (up to a maximum of £300) or 12 months free warranty cover (for any car in your household). There is no cash alternative. The draw will take place at the Warranty Direct offices on the 27th of every month and the winners will be notified by email within 5 working days. The promotion is open to anyone over 18 years of age in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland.
* 44% of cars are known to suffer a breakdown in their fourth year - Warranty Direct research September 2010.
Warranties are available for cars and car derived vans less than 10 years old and with less than 100,000 recorded miles since new. Certain 'exotic models' are also ineligible. Full details, terms and conditions are available at www.warrantydirect.co.uk. These offers include a 14-day cooling-off period subject to no claim having been made. Warranty Direct Limited is a company, registered in England No. 3233010 at Pinnacle House, A1 Barnet Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 2XX, that is wholly independent of Trader Media Group. Trader Media Group is an introducer appointed representative of Warranty Direct Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority, Register No. 309075.