Selling a car can be a daunting prospect, but by knowing what to expect, you can avoid being caught out by experienced hagglers, time wasters or criminals. Follow these steps to make sure you're not caught out.
- Don't let a buyer go out alone, as they might not come back
- Check they have adequate insurance cover, or you could be liable for any accidents
- Keep a close friend or relative with you - especially if you're selling
- Always keep the keys on you when swapping seats or getting out of the car
- Let buyers follow their own route, as many are suspicious if you dictate which roads to take
Buyers will probably be keen to haggle on your asking price. You need to be firm, without being unreasonable; set a price beforehand and keep it in your head during negotiations. While this price in your mind should be the lowest you're prepared to sell the car for, don't decline a sale over a £50 difference in your lowest and their highest offer. It'll cost you far more in re-advertising fees, time and hassle.